Archive for February, 2008
Mr. Right loves trivia. He enjoys watching Jeopardy and playing Trivial Pursuit. Ugh! These are not really my cup of tea at all. I have been known to watch Jeopardy with him because I love him and like for him to be happy.
He has a group of guys he goes to play trivia with every other week. He has been doing this for a couple of years. He has a lot of fun when he gets out of the house with them. They are actually pretty good at trivia. They usually place in the top three.
These nights are enjoyable for me. I can watch whatever I want on tv (and it certainly will not be Jeopardy), blog to my little heart’s content, surf the web researching whatever topic interests me the most at the time, read, or go on to bed. The trivia game does not start until after the children are in bed so if I want help putting the children to bed I have it. It is nice to have this quiet time for myself. It is nice that my husband is out having fun with his friends.
I am thankful for Trivia Night.
All four of us have the flu. On top of that, Mr. Right has a sinus infection. He has antibiotics and a cough suppressant. GigglyGirl and BusyBoy have a script to keep nausea at bay. We spent over 2 hours in the local Children’s Urgent Care facility yesterday evening. That was the shortest line we could fine. The closer Urgent Care facility that treats adults and children had a 3 plus hour wait. When we are all well again, I will be back to blogging.
In the meantime, be sure to check out Shannon’s trip to Uganda. It is a compelling and emotional story.
On Saturday in Georgia, the Republican Party is hosting Precinct meetings for counties with a population of 80,000 and above. Here are 13 things you may or may not already know about Precinct Meetings:
- The purpose of the Precinct Meeting is to elect delegates and alternates for the County Convention, which will be held in March.
- Precinct meetings truly are a grassroots way of getting involved in politics. It shows that all politics are local.
- In a Presidential Election Year, at the County Convention, delegates and alternates will be elected for both the District Convention and the State Convention.
- At the District and State Conventions in 2008, delegates and alternates will be elected for the Republican National Convention.
- Delegates to the RNC will be casting votes for the Presidential Nominee, which will not be official until the actual Convention. Delegates to the RNC also do some other business and apparently a lot of partying.
- Be prepared to list your neighbors who are Republican and might want to participate in a County Convention.
- All the Precinct Meetings start at 10:00 AM sharp. If you are late, you can watch but you cannot participate.
- Mr. Right and I were rushed into our very first precinct meeting from the parking lot with only 60 seconds to spare.
- A precinct is all the people who vote at a particular location. If you vote at ABC Elementary School, then you are in the precinct with all the other people who vote at ABC Elementary.
- There is a lot of paperwork that has to be filled out at Precinct Meetings and Conventions. A Lot! One time, Mr. Right and I were up until 1:00 AM the night before the Precinct Meeting, arrived at the meeting at 8:00 AM to setup and then did not get home to go to sleep until 4:30 AM on Sunday morning. We were exhausted but we got all the paperwork done! I hardly ever pulled all-nighters in college so I cannot believe that I have pulled all-nighters for volunteer work after college. For work? Ok, at least I was getting paid. Volunteer work? I admit, I’m a little crazy! Through those crazy long hours, we have made friends that will last a lifetime. (LP, I’m talking about you!)
- Three out of four years, there are Precinct Meetings and a “Convention Cycle” in Georgia.
- In non-Presidential Election years, Party Leadership is elected during the “Convention Cycle”. More on that next year!
- All of this starts Saturday of this weekend in Georgia.
Posted in Goals, Works for Me Wendesday, tagged achievement, goal setting, Goals, Mission Statement, New Year's Resolutions, Personal Mission Statement, resolutions, wish list on February 13, 2008| 1 Comment »