Once you have created your mission statement, you need to determine what goals you want to accomplish. For me the best way to begin this process is to all of the things that I want to be, to do, to have. This is called a wish list. It is a no holds bar list. Now is not the time to evaluate whether or not you can actually be, do, or have any of these things right now. Do not over think it. Brainstorm your list and be bold as you do this.
Here is a sample of what my wish list has on it right now.
- Mr. Right to get a job
- Resolve our financial difficulties
- Live my life as an example to our children so they can have a close personal relationship with God
- Help GigglyGirl and BusyBoy learn how to read
- Create my first money making blog
- Help on the Republican Nominee’s Presidential Campaign in swing states in October and November
- Start additional money making blogs
- Add clients to consulting business
- Purchase a flat screen television for our bedroom and one for our family room
- Attend the RNC Convention
- Read 1 book per week including 2 non-fiction books per month
- Keep up with the laundry on a daily basis
- Plan my weekly menus in advance at least 3 times per month
- Purchase a second car
- Go on a family vacation sometime in 2008
- Lose 22 pounds
- Let GigglyGirl and BusyBoy take swimming lessons this spring
- Determine whether or not GigglyGirl and BusyBoy will be in the same class not next year or not
- Replace the siding on our home
- Replace the lighting in our kitchen
- Volunteer for the various organizations I want to volunteer in
- Write a book with Mr. Right
- Face life with a positive attitude even during adversity
- Update family blog 4 times a week and turn the blog into a book at end of year
- Learn to digi scrap
- Have a spa day once a week
- Workout regularly
- Finish paper scrapbook projects that I have already started and have not finished
- Payoff debt and create a net worth of $5 million
Now it is your turn. What are your wishes, hopes, and dreams? What do you want to do? What do you want to be? What do you want to have? Remember this is a no holds bar list. Do not think of reasons why something should or should not be on the list. Simply list these things out. If you complete this exercise on your own blog, leave a link in the comments below. If you do not have a blog, feel free to leave your list in the comments below.
This article is part of a series on “Do You Have a Program to Set Goals?” If you have not already done so, check out the post on Developing a Personal Mission Statement. Come back next week as we learn how to determine if each item on the liss tis a wish, dream, or goal.