As the New Year has arrived, it is time to step back and look at our life somewhat objectively. Many people set New Year’s Resolutions at this time of the year. I have found that goals work better than resolutions. Whichever you prefer, resolutions or goals, you need to have a firm plan in place to achieve your desired results. Here is a general outline that works well for me.
- Develop a Personal Mission Statement
- Create Your Wish List: A List of Everything You Want to Be, Do, and Have
- Is It a Wish, a Dream, or a Goal
- Eat an Elephant, Break Each Individual Goal Down into Small Pieces
- Create a Plan of Action with Deadlines for Achievement
- Evaluate Status on a Regular Basis
In the next few weeks, I will elaborate on each of these steps and give a personal example of how I am reviewing and working to achieve my goals. Please join me in this article series and let me know what you think of my program. What works for you?