- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (I use a food processor)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Rub a 3 1/2-quart baking dish with garlic and butter generously.
- Add the garlic cloves to the dish.
- Arrange potatoes in layers in baking dish.
- Season each layer with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Pour cream over potatoes.
- Dot top with any remaining butter.
- Bake until golden and bubbling and potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°, and continue to bake until the top is brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.