- 9 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Boil potatoes until tender; drain.
- Beat potatoes in large bowl with electric mixer until fluffy, adding butter, seasonings, and milk.
- Check seasonings and adjust to taste.
- Put potato mixture into a buttered shallow casserole dish.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff.
- Fold cheese into whipped cream and spread over potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, only until golden brown.
Note: Casserole may be prepared ahead of time, the topping added just before baking.